Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Best Friends Forever (BFF) - 5/16/09




People usually think it’s pretty cool the way Tracy and I met.  Our daughters were officers on the high school drill team and, as daughters do, they would occasionally talk about their mothers with each other.  They would often say how much we had in common and they should introduce us.

The day we met is clear in my mind.  It was 1999, our daughter’s junior year.  The drill team had a competition in Galveston and some of the parental attendees were carpooling.  Our daughters set it up for me to ride with Tracy.  She pulled into my driveway and I walked out, suitcase in hand.  Tracy got out to help load the trunk; we put it in amongst the others, got in the car and proceeded to chat nonstop all the way to Galveston.  We’ve yet to stop. Tracy’s two younger daughters were in the back seat and they were flabbergasted about how it seemed we had known each other our whole lives. We simply clicked.  We even shared a hotel room that weekend.  I don’t know many people I literally just met I would have agreed to those sleeping arrangements, but it simply felt right.

I believe in reincarnation and I have clearly shared many past lives with my friend, Tracy.  We have much in common but in so many more ways we are total opposites.  Those differences, I believe, is what makes our friendship work so well.

We never run out of things to talk about, and sometimes we finish each others sentences.  It is the most comfortable friendship I’ve ever had.  She’s so smart and her goofy jokes always make me laugh.  We have helped each other through some difficult times, which resulted in strengthening our friendship all the more.

Tracy and I have never had one moment of discontent with each other.  We agree on most everything and what we don’t agree on doesn’t matter.  Sometimes people take advantage of Tracy’s good and generous nature and that makes me angry.  I often persuade her to just say “NO.”  She depends on me for that.  I rely on her as well. She never hesitates to listen to one of my rants about whatever is bugging me at the moment.  She’s a great listener and always has a calming effect on me during those times.  It’s truly a symbiotic relationship.

I know without one single doubt that Tracy and I will remain friends our entire lives.  If sometime in the future you see two tottering old ladies walking on the beach hand-in-hand, rest assured that will be us, still supporting and leaning on each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment