Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Late Bloomer - 4/9/09


Oddly enough, I remember the precise moment I realized I was a grown-up, and no longer thought of myself as the “skinny girl.”  I was 18 and considered a late bloomer.  I never really knew what those words meant exactly, but in that moment it became very clear. 

I was in the PX.  For those of you not accustomed to the Army’s verbiage it’s an acronym for something I used to remember but have long since forgotten.  It’s where you shopped, like a department store. 

I even remember what I was wearing. It was in the fall of 1973 but still warm in Ft. Hood, Texas so I was faddishly dressed in hip-hugger, bell-bottom, corduroy slacks and a white halter-top.  The slacks were a bright orange.  My white sandals and matching white leather belt completed the ensemble.  My long, straight hair hung to the middle of my back, Cher-like.  I was stylin’, man!

I was dashing downstairs in search of something I can’t recall and two fatigue-clad soldiers were coming upstairs. 

It must have been getting close to Christmas because one of them said to the other, “Now that’s what I want in my Christmas stocking!” 

He was talking about me!  I stopped in my tracks.  Nobody had ever said anything like that about me that I knew of.  I realized I was a woman and no longer the “skinny girl”. 

By “skinny girl” I mean I was the brunt of jokes you may or may not have heard.  The one about turning sideways and disappearing; and then there’s the one about turning sideways, sticking out your tongue and looking like a zipper; or the equally not-so-funny one about being embarrassed with a red face and accused of being a thermometer.

Yes, I had very small breasts, my bones stuck out everywhere, knees, elbows, shoulder blades, even my ankles seemed too large.  I just couldn’t gain weight.  I ate ice cream, fattening, fried foods and literally mounds of mashed potatoes.  Nothing worked until I finally got on birth control pills and gained those precious ten pounds I so desperately needed.  I had finally grown into my body.  That’s what being a “late bloomer” is, late to bloom into your body.   

Since I hadn’t had that kind of appreciation before I had developed a very keen sense of humor.  When you don’t have the “looks” you get by any way you can.  I had honed sarcasm to a fine point.  I was the class clown in school, always looking for ways to make everyone laugh.  Like all high school teens I felt the need to be accepted any way I could. 

In that moment I realized not only did I apparently have the looks, but also a respectable body, a sense of humor and, guess what; I had a brain, too!  Was the world ready for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment