Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Last Hike - 9/19/09


It felt like the last hike before we leave next Friday.  Abe and I loaded up in the truck and drove to our favorite hike, Swan Creek.  Favorite for both us because the creek generally runs along the trail allowing Abe frequent dips in the cold stream and me to enjoy the sound of water.  I’ve always been drawn to water no matter what mood I’m in.  If I’m feeling good, like today, it’s refreshing and fun and stimulating.  When I’m sad or mad it soothes me, calms me down.  Interesting, since these two things are opposite, but that’s what it does for me.

Today was a good day.  Abe was happily trotting along in front of me, scoping out the trail ahead as usual.  I was enjoying the beautiful scenery, the sound of the water, the birds singing and what I think are chipmunks warning there could be danger coming their friend’s way.  But we’re no danger.  Abe tries but I doubt he’ll ever catch one of those quick little guys.  I’m no danger because I couldn’t catch one if my life depended on it – well, maybe if my life depended on it, but I’d need a trap or something.  Not a good thought.  Hope I never have to eat one!

It’s a glorious day.  The sun is shining, the temperature is perfect at 72 degrees and I’m feeling very strong from all the hiking we’ve done since we arrived on July 29th.  I have mixed feelings about leaving.  I definitely miss my home and all the other things I mentioned in my last blog, but this place has a way of weaving its spell on you.  The mountains are spectacular and the climate is pretty darn near perfect at this time of year.  The people are friendly and, for want of a better word, so REAL.  They are exactly who they appear to be.  They are genuinely happy to see you and stop and chat should you so desire.  That’s refreshing.  I like the people here in Montana. 

I know without one iota of doubt that I would HATE being here in the winter.  I am not a cold weather person.  My thin Texas blood doesn’t do well in cold weather and I’m not that fond of winter sports.  The times I’ve tried winter sports haven’t been all that successful or enjoyable.  So leaving here before the weather gets too cold is probably a good idea.

I do dread the three-day drive back, but I can do it.  Getting there will be the carrot dangling in front of my nose.  There will be much to do when we get there to get things back the way they’re supposed to be – but I look forward to it.

I will be so happy to see my friends and family again.  I miss them tremendously.  It’s been a long, slow, easy summer but I’m ready to leave all this behind and get back to my life in Rockport. 

If today really was my last hike, then it was a good one, except for that one little incident.  We were at the end of our hike and I had already spied our truck through the trees.  One tiny misstep later, I found myself sprawled on the gravel pathway.  A rock had slipped out from under my left foot, the left foot that has been sprained at least four times, stupid weak ankle, and I overcompensated and fell to the ground with my right knee and both palms hitting the gravel first.  My right hand got the worst of it with little pebbles breaking the skin causing some bleeding.  Next thing I know, the Abe that was nearly 20-30 feet ahead of me was looming over me with an expression that said, “Are you alright?  What are you doing down there?”  I swear, the concern on his face was sincere and heartfelt. 

I responded with, “No, my hand hurts, look at it.”  I shoved my palm up to his nose and he proceeded to lick my aching palm with the gentlest care.  He has this way of licking that is long and slow – in fact, he rarely licks you at all and never in the face.  A very different dog, I assure you, than most.  After that I felt as if I could get up and make my way to the car and a Kleenex to wipe the blood away.  We loaded up and came home.  If today was our last hike, at least it was a memorable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment