Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 7, 2010

We Survived the West Texas Desert - 3/7/09



Last fall my husband and I decided to drive River Road on the south side of Big Bend National Park.  The sign clearly said “Only 4-wheel-drive vehicles allowed.”  We qualified, so off we went on our adventure.

The sunny day allowed the surrounding scenery to unfold in its breathtaking rugged beauty; craggy mountains against azure blue sky punctuated by large cacti.  Dry riverbeds announced little or no rain, and dust billowed out behind us as we steadily drove deeper into the 800,000 acre park.

We relished our escapade with the wind gently blowing in open windows and music softly playing Tom Petty. Our camaraderie enjoyed an all time high. 

I stood with my head out the sunroof relentlessly clicking my camera.  I thought if I took enough of them, surely I’d get at least a couple of magnificent images.

Suddenly, our 2003 Chevy Suburban listed heavily to one side and my astute husband declared something amiss.  He stopped the truck and got out only to discover that not only did we have one flat tire but TWO flat tires at the same time.  I have photos documenting this but wouldn’t qualify them as magnificent. 

We had one spare and our cell phones didn't function in the middle of the desolate place in which we found ourselves. Fortunately we had plenty of food and water in the cooler so in the unlikely event we had to spend the night, we would survive.  This was reinforced when I found a chilled bottle of La Crema 2006 Chardonnay while rooting around.  I figured if I slowly sipped that bottle of wine I would probably make it until we were rescued.

As the day progressed the temperature climbed to 107 degrees. Our clothing was drenched from blotting our sweating bodies as I held the golf umbrella over my husband while he changed the tire. Our camaraderie diminished as fast as the temperature rose.

As we waited for another car or Park Ranger to drive by we wondered why there wasn’t more traffic.  We began to imagine what would happen if no one appeared.  Would we have to hike out?  Should one of us stay with the car?  How far would we have to hike?  Hadn’t I read about black bears, wolves and mountain lions in the brochure provided at the entrance?  Was it time to open the La Crema?

After a few more minutes I heard my husband mutter sheepishly, “I wonder if OnStar would work?”

“Oh my God,” I shouted. “Try it!”  I  was beginning to realize that his brain needed to bake a while before it worked properly. 

I was overjoyed when we were able to speak to a live person after all that waiting, sweating and wondering. OnStar was eventually able to patch us through to an individual with a 4-wheel drive tow truck that would begrudgingly drag us out. A Park Ranger guided him and later informed us that park personnel only travel that back country road every 3 to 4 days - sometimes even 5! I’m relatively certain the La Crema wouldn’t have made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment