Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Homesick - 9/6/09


I’m homesick.  I shouldn’t be.  I’m in one of the most beautiful places on the face of the earth.  On the other hand, I live in one of the most beautiful places on the face of the earth, too.

I miss my bed, I miss cooking – and if you say I could cook here, you obviously haven’t seen my kitchen in Rockport.  Not quite the same, I assure you.  I also miss my laundry room and I even miss my routine.

I miss the incredible wide-open bay view behind our house.  I miss the people in Rockport, my friends and even the HEB store employees who know and recognize me when I walk in the door and always stop and chat.  Don’t get me wrong, the people here in Big Sky are equally friendly and will usually stop and gab a bit.  But they don’t know and recognize me.

I miss my family and friends in Austin.  I miss my kids terribly and could really benefit from a nice big hug from both of them.  I miss my best friend, Tracy, who is always so supportive, kind and generous with her time and energy.  I miss Amy, who does my hair, for obvious reasons.  I miss Beth, my manicurist in Rockport.  She’s going to have a real chore with these hiking boot feet when I return and my cuticles are hopeless – only she can fix them.

I miss being able to simply let Abe out any door of our home with no fear of him running off to play with another dog or investigate the neighbors’ apparently wonderful smells.  Our home in Rockport is completely fenced in and is his domain, a job he takes very seriously.  We have no fenced area here so we have to put Abe’s leash on every time he has to pee or just wants to go out and smell stuff.

I miss my TV and DVR.  We have one here but it’s in the living room downstairs and no one wants to watch my shows, not really.  And I hate to hog it and won’t.  So I’m missing some shows – I’ll catch up – maybe, but probably not.

I miss my truck.  There are vehicles here for my use but obviously my Honda is set up perfectly for me since it’s mine and I miss that.  Not a biggie but a missing thing just the same.

I miss the size of our home and it’s nice open floor plan.

I miss my privacy, a commodity I take for granted in Rockport.  Don’t get me wrong, I love and adore my mother-in-law, but it’s not the same as living alone with just Randy and Abe.  I miss that.

I miss the conveniences in Rockport.  When I run errands there it’s so EASY.  Here we have to go into Bozeman for groceries and pretty much everything else, the cleaners, the movie theater and Wal-Mart.  All of those things are so close in Rockport.  It’s easy to accomplish errands there.  Not so much here.

I think mostly I miss the familiarity of home and our small town.  I can go to Austin for a weekend and fill up on family and friends and then drive back to Rockport’s beauty and inspiration.

I guess I’m simply homesick.

No comments:

Post a Comment