Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 6, 2010

I Remember/I Don't Remember - 6/22/09


I REMEMBER

It was a sunny, warm day and the winter tides were low allowing us access to sand and shallows that are fully immersed except in winter. The pools of water reflected azure blue sky and treasures revealed themselves in myriad and haphazard fashion. An old boot caught my attention and I wondered where the foot was that belonged to that boot. It was in fairly good condition considering that it probably had been in the water for some time prior to its birth on the sand. Near it was a crab trap, a rope and tiny little mouse tracks. I wondered if the mouse was looking for a good hiding place in the boot. I wondered where the other boot was and if he was missing his mate. Little trash was visible and I thought that was kind of odd or maybe the park cleaned it from time to time. The birds were near and singing their happiness of the astonishingly gorgeous day – I started to sing with them. No one could hear me and believe me, no one wanted to! Some of the trees were falling off the edge from erosion. Poor tree, a big strong fellow but if there is no soil to cling to it will simply become driftwood.


I DON’T REMEMBER

I don’t remember if there was anyone else on the beach I was so absorbed in my meandering about the undiscovered terrain. I don’t remember if I even cared. I don’t remember what my dog was doing other than frolicking around in sheer bliss of his freedom. I don’t remember what time it was. I don’t remember how strong the wind was or even if there was wind that day, although I vaguely recall thinking that it was calm instead of blustery. I don’t remember what kind of bird was singing and if I were so inclined could probably have figured it out eventually by quietly listening and remembering the tune. I don’t remember how long I sat on that huge log or how long it took me to write notes for future creative writing projects although I know it was quite awhile. I don’t remember what day of the week it was. I don’t remember what I wore that day except for the wading boots, which eventually were filthy. I can’t recall the song in my head but there usually is one at times like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment